Preventing Mold Growth in Your Bathroom

By Thornton Plumbing and Heating

Share This Post

Blog Highlights

  • Bathrooms are the perfect breeding ground for mold
  • There are three common molds found in homes
  • Mold exposure can lead to sinus infections, lung infections, and even skin infections

No matter where you live in Salt Lake City or Park City, the chances are that your bathroom, like most bathrooms, is rather small, closed off, and often damp. Bathrooms are the perfect breeding ground for mold. It’s very important to prevent mold growth in your bathroom. Here are several reasons why you should take the appropriate measures to keep mold from growing in your bathroom:

Molds Are Toxic

There are three common molds found in homes: asperigillus, cladosporium, and stachybotrys atra (black mold). Cladosporium may cause watery eyes and a sore throat, but is generally considered harmless. Asperigillus is perhaps the most common and often leads to allergic reactions in people and pets. Stachybotrys atra or black mold is the most dangerous. Black mold spores can cause severe allergic reactions, leading to internal bleeding and even other diseases.

Effects on Your Mood

The American Journal of Public Health published a study that claims moldy homes can negatively affect one’s mental health. People who live in a moldy environment or home are 34%-44% more likely to suffer from depression. People living in close proximity to mold also reported feeling a lack of energy, despair, and general malaise.

Health Problems in Children

Exposure to mold can result in congestion, coughing, throat irritation, sneezing, and other respiratory problems in children and adults. Some studies have found that infants and young children who are exposed to mold may develop lifelong respiratory ailments, such as asthma.

Mold exposure can lead to sinus infections, lung infections, and even skin infections. People with pre-existing respiratory issues are at an even higher risk of experiencing mold-related health complications. While both adults and children can develop these problems, it could be argued that children, especially young children, may have a harder time coping and recovering from mold-related ailments.

Your Pets May Be In Danger

Animals are extremely sensitive to mold. Household pets can suffer from mold poisoning from even minor exposure to the toxins found in mold spores. Pay special attention to your pets.  Coughing, wheezing, vomiting, general lethargy, and bleeding from mucous membranes are all indications that they could be suffering from mold poisoning. If left untreated, mold poisoning can lead to death in household pets. If you start to notice that they are in respiratory distress take them to the vet at once. Veterinarians can treat mold poisoning with IV fluids and medications.

For these reasons, it’s important to keep your house clean and mold free. Know how to check for mold and make sure you remove it immediately to protect yourself, your family, and your pets.

Do you need help identify where mold could be hiding in your home? Do you need help removing mold? Contact us today.

More To Explore

We can HELP you solve your Plumbing, Radiant, Snowmelt, and Boiler Services

For a limited time only!

Get $75 off a New Water Heater

Let us install your water heater. Our licensed, insured pros can handle it.

Signup now to get our Water Heater Special our calendar is filling up fast. Feel free to call us if you have any questions 801-565-7948.